Tortilla Espanola, or basically an potatoey omelette! Its easy dish fit for your tapas party and you can fill it up with any other ingredients to tune to it to your liking.
- 250 ml Oil
- 6 qty Potatoes Julienned
- 1 qty Red Onion Sliced
- 4 pieces Bacon Sliced Lardons
- 5 qty Eggs Whisked
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
On a flat fry pan with curved edges, heat up the cup of oil to roughly 180 deg C, then add the julienned potatoes to shallow fry.
Remove when potatoes have slightly coloured and drain the fry pan of oil. Using 1-2 tbsp of the frying oil, add in your bacon, and peppers and par saute the ingredients.
Let all the ingredients cool slightly, then add your cooled potatoes, bacon, and peppers with onions to your whisked eggs. Season generously.
On a low heat, cook the mixture until the eggs are set.
Flip to Serve while hot!
- Frying Oil - Don't use olive oil to deep/shallow fry anything! Use vegetable or canola, this is because olive oil does burn, it has a lower-ish smoke point.
- Hot Potatoes - Make sure your potatoes are fully cooked while shallow frying; else the sharp 'raw' potato-ey flavour really permeates.
- Cool Potatoes - Make sure to cool down the potatoes and other ingredients before it hits the eggs, you don't want scrambled eggs in you mixing bowl!
- Additional Ingredients - Use whatever you want to replace the bacon and capsicum; here's some ideas - Eggplant, Spinach, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Grilled Portobello Mushrooms, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Serrano Ham, Guanciale, Chorizo. Should I keep going?
- Cheese? - Get some really nice smooth Goats cheese and add to the your tortilla while its setting, it gives it different dimension of flavour.
- Salamander the top - If you have an oven handy, and your fry pan is made of oven safe materials, you could set your oven on top grill mode and get some colour on the top side if you wish. Psst! that's when you could add your hidden cheese