Thai Basil Prawns with Salted Egg
Everyone loves Thai basil pork and it is a famous street food of Thailand. For this recipe, I went with my own tweak by using prawns and adding salted eggs. This is probably the easiest Thai food recipe which you can easily replicate at home.
- 250 g Prawns shelled and devein
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 3-4 cubes Ice
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Shallots sliced
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- 1 stalk Chilli Padi chopped
- 2 pcs Salted Egg Yolks diced
- 1 bunch Basil Leaves
- 1 qty Egg
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Corn Flour
Peel the prawns and devein. Soak the prawns in a bowl of ice water with a 1/4 tsp of baking soda for 30 mins.
Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil. Add in shallots and garlic and fry for one minute.
Add chopped chilli padi and fry for 30s and add in the chopped salted egg.
Continue frying till foam appears.
Add in the prawns and fry for 1 min and add in seasoning sauce.
Add in the basil leaves and continue frying for another min.
Remove from pan.
In another pan, fry a sunny side up.
When plating, place a bowl of steamed rice on a plate, serve the prawns over the rice and sunny side up at the side.
- Only use Thai basil and not other types of basil
- You can use other proteins such as minced pork or chicken
- Soaking the prawns in baking soda, makes the texture firm and gives it the QQ texture
Serving: 100gCalories: 172kcal